Tuesday, July 8, 2008

16# wikis

I have used wikipeadia alot in helping my 13 yrld with his school projects and am embarrassed to say I was unaware the entries can be posted by anyone and edited by anyone so from now on I will be more guarded about using this information, unquestioned and will caution my son also.
The obvious ways we could use wiki's in the library would be to set up one for book reviews, so patrons can share their thoughts on books the've read (staff too) . Perhaps one could be set up for community news and events, but I don,t like the idea of people being nasty and underhand and possibly posting hurtful or untrue information (sob, sob, weep, weep) So who, if anyone monitors the wiki or is that not in the true wiki spirit of things?

2 comments:

I am not a Librarian said...

Hi Jenny,
In the last round of learning 2.0, I tossed in the idea of using a Wiki when planning things e.g. the staff development night, instead of having to send a bazillion emails to each other, and I still reckon it's a great idea. We just need someone to get it off the ground! And yes, I thought it needs an "administrator" too! :o)

Michelle McLean said...

Wikis can be password protected so that you have to be registered to make changes - that way you can trace changes and as Wikipedia has done, block serial offenders.

As for Wikipedia - the entries usually have links to reputable sites at the end of, which are well worth checking out.