Tuesday, July 8, 2008

15# web 2.0, library 2.0 & future of libraries

I get completely overwhelmed at the whole imformation revolution and feel like I would have been much better suited to working in a library in say 1960!!!!!! You know I'm the person who still thinks it's cool to surf the web and I realise most 8yr olds are already way past this level, uploading songs to their i-pods, organising frequently visited sites into favourties, creating images on calendars for Grandma etc. I'm not sure how I can possibly keep up and be a relevant library officer, providing guidance and passing all this new information onto patrons when I'm not using any of it in my daily life. I got quite depressed reading about the future of libraries as being one big technological rollercoaster............I long for the quiet solitude, cup of coffee, good engaging stories in a book that Wendy Shultz talked about. I'll meet her there in that library when we all go full circle....or is that mad?

1 comment:

Michelle McLean said...

It can be very overwhelming, even for someone like me who likes to keep up. There is way too much for anyone to handle it all. Just take in what you can and leave the rest - it will take care of itself.